CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
carolina_corpsman
HotSoup
FurmanCock
Ironfan
rt3891
TAFC 5 1981
2k15
Captain9Dragons
Flameout12
Noon kickoff for Ole (715)
I'VE GOT SOMETHING T (587)
QB Play vs. WR Play (398)
Former USC Assistant (189)
Carolina Coliseum ph (51)
***Women's Soccer 2018 Se
QB Play vs. WR Play
2018 Signee - Tyquan John
Carolina Coliseum photos?
Noon kickoff for Ole Miss
The difference in our 5 s
Convince me these are all
Former USC Assistant Bria
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Black Ops 4

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #41
Gamecock John
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Gamecock John has feathers coming inGamecock John has feathers coming in
Default Re: Smoking Butts Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
There's no way in hell you're getting a good pull from removing at 180. I've removed at 190 and had to fight to get it broken up.

195 is the lowest I go, but I tend to let mine go on and hit 200. At 200 the bone will slide straight out and makes it a lot easier to work with.
They will continue to cook in the cooler. I can slide the bone right out and mash with hands to pull. If i am strigjt cooking to serve then i run them to 195 as well.
Gamecock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #42
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfan1 View Post
Smoked 2 this weekend(Saturday)...let them have smoke for 5 hours and foiled for 2 hours...honestly didn't even watch temp this time but there were perfect.
Exactly, once you've done it enough, no need to even bother with a thermometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock John View Post
They will continue to cook in the cooler. I can slide the bone right out and mash with hands to pull. If i am strigjt cooking to serve then i run them to 195 as well.
I guess depending on how long you leave it and if you preheat the cooler you may be able to get it up to a better temp, but 180 still seems like a looooong way to go. If it works for you then keep on keeping on. It's BBQ, there's no wrong way to do it (unless you use a crockpot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #43
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2700
dumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot material

Quote:
..Hash to me is anything you can put in it that is inside of a hawg. Except the liver. I used to do hash off the hoof a long time ago and put little if any liver in my hash. I have had some upstate hash and cant eat it. Like I said the hash I had in Newberry was made with deer meat. It did have some pork and beef added in but was primarily deer hash..
This thread is the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything about putting liver in hash. We don't do that in good ole Gaffney lol. I've done deer, pork and beef, but never any kind of liver.

It's definitely interesting to see all of the variations. I guess it's all what taste you first acquired with hash as to whether it is good or not. I didn't get what I was expecting this weekend, that is for sure lol.
dumpyloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #44
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I plan to experiment with a smoke/sous vide/smoke butt.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #45
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

So I went to Sam's yesterday and got three butts and a brisket. Which sounds like a country song waiting to happen.

Anyways, I was thinking of doing the butts Sunday and the brisket Sunday night to Monday morning, since I've heard those take longer. I've only ever done one once, and it wasn't at the same time as butts. Any thoughts on trying to do them at the same time (not even sure if that's an option since I'm not sure if they'll all fit in the smoker) in case I choose to hazard that route? I'd have to pick one wood flavor, wouldn't be able to do apple for the butts and mesquite for the brisket, which is the main thing giving me pause.

Sides are just pasta salad and bbq beans, nothing fancy since my wife doesn't want too much to do the day of. I'm planning on doing some bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos though, so if you see her, don't tell her. I'm thinking if I use thin metal skewers run through a bunch of them (with space in between) that would make it so they didn't fall cockeyed or fall through the grates of the grill, since I'm using a Weber Spirit, the grates are set further apart, shaped differently, and wider than other grills I think.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #46
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up smoking the butts til they got to 170 (just lost track) and then tin foiled them, and pulled them. The fat cap had completely melted away, which I hadn't ever seen before in my relatively few smoker experiences. I saved all the juices via a tin foil pan covered in tin foil with a hole poked in the middle with the tin foil cover slanted to drain all the juice thru the hole...I read about doing this so the juices didn't get too smokey. I resisted the urge to label it "butt juice" when I put it in the fridge. I did that on Saturday, brisket on Sunday. I reheated the brisket (14.68 lbs uncooked weight) by wrapping it tightly in foil (probably were about 3-4 layers on there) and heating at 250 degrees for 90 minutes, then sliced. The butts (each about 8.5 lbs uncooked weight, bone in) I had compressed into three one-gallon ziplock bags, to the point where I was worried that I wasn't going to have enough Q to go around.

I sliced the brisket and slid it into a roaster pan covered with foil, then heated up the juices I had saved and poured them on top. My dad heated up the pork in batches via the microwave in a saran covered casserole dish, with the microwave at around 60% until warm, then we heated up the butt juice to piping hot and poured it on. It was a hit.

I also made a mustard bbq sauce as follows:
1 c yellow mustard
1/4 c honey
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 c apple cider vinegar

It was a little sweet, so next time I'll cut back on the brown sugar. I added a bit of red pepper to bring some heat and a bunch of smoked paprika to add some depth and smokey flavor.

I also did a "traditional" (no idea if it is or not) brisket sauce found here:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...mop-sauce.html
Only difference is that I used a orange pepper instead of green. I also had squeeze bottles to put it in so I used an immersion blender to make sure the bottle tip didn't get clogged. It had some kick when I made it Sunday night, but had mellowed considerably by the time I served it the next day after storing it in the fridge. It's more liquid than regular bbq sauce but it went great with the brisket, especially since I didn't trim the fat cap at all, so it was pretty rich.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #47
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up smoking the butts til they got to 170 (just lost track) and then tin foiled them, and pulled them. The fat cap had completely melted away, which I hadn't ever seen before in my relatively few smoker experiences. I saved all the juices via a tin foil pan covered in tin foil with a hole poked in the middle with the tin foil cover slanted to drain all the juice thru the hole...I read about doing this so the juices didn't get too smokey. I resisted the urge to label it "butt juice" when I put it in the fridge. I did that on Saturday, brisket on Sunday. I reheated the brisket (14.68 lbs uncooked weight) by wrapping it tightly in foil (probably were about 3-4 layers on there) and heating at 250 degrees for 90 minutes, then sliced. The butts (each about 8.5 lbs uncooked weight, bone in) I had compressed into three one-gallon ziplock bags, to the point where I was worried that I wasn't going to have enough Q to go around.

I sliced the brisket and slid it into a roaster pan covered with foil, then heated up the juices I had saved and poured them on top. My dad heated up the pork in batches via the microwave in a saran covered casserole dish, with the microwave at around 60% until warm, then we heated up the butt juice to piping hot and poured it on. It was a hit.

I also made a mustard bbq sauce as follows:
1 c yellow mustard
1/4 c honey
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 c apple cider vinegar

It was a little sweet, so next time I'll cut back on the brown sugar. I added a bit of red pepper to bring some heat and a bunch of smoked paprika to add some depth and smokey flavor.

I also did a "traditional" (no idea if it is or not) brisket sauce found here:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...mop-sauce.html
Only difference is that I used a orange pepper instead of green. I also had squeeze bottles to put it in so I used an immersion blender to make sure the bottle tip didn't get clogged. It had some kick when I made it Sunday night, but had mellowed considerably by the time I served it the next day after storing it in the fridge. It's more liquid than regular bbq sauce but it went great with the brisket, especially since I didn't trim the fat cap at all, so it was pretty rich.
Is that a typo? You only smoked them to 170?

I wish I would have saw the brisket comment. Did one the weekend before last. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite cooks. I use the same wood, and cook it exactly like I do my butts (I just actually foil them around 160 because my rub has more sugar and will harden too much). One trick I tend to do on my briskets, is to cut a notch off one of the corners to know what direction to cut it once it comes off. When you have all that bark it's impossible to know which way the muscles run.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #48
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Is that a typo? You only smoked them to 170?

I wish I would have saw the brisket comment. Did one the weekend before last. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite cooks. I use the same wood, and cook it exactly like I do my butts (I just actually foil them around 160 because my rub has more sugar and will harden too much). One trick I tend to do on my briskets, is to cut a notch off one of the corners to know what direction to cut it once it comes off. When you have all that bark it's impossible to know which way the muscles run.
Whoops, yep, I smoked them to 170, then put 'em in tin foil, then cooked them to a 203 degree temp, followed by a rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for a couple hours and then I pulled them.

I think I read that with a packer brisket it's two pieces of meat, and I guess the grain (if that's the right term) in one runs kind of perpendicular to the other. I had forgotten about that when it came time to slice it, but fortunate for me it was so tender it didn't matter.

I think this was my second brisket. I'd done chuck roasts in the past (which I believe are less expensive than brisket per lb) but I couldn't find any big enough for this past weekend. That's something you pull rather than slice in my limited experience anyways.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #49
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Trying my first one tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #50
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Fire's lit. Which is a accomplishment considering I'm a couple of hours behind most of ya'll. Just waiting on the smoker to come up to temp...

Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #51
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Trying my first one tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
Good luck. The fun is in the cooking and enjoying the process and not being in a hurry. The food is just the reward at the end. So make sure to enjoy the time you're putting into this. Today's the type of day you look forward to, and look back on with fond memories.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #52
Lonnie
Band

Male

7 hours in, we're at 160-165 deg. Starting to have a issues hold in the ideal cooking temp range.

Our one set of carolina friends out here called us. Their boy wanted to have a play date with our boy. So this one will be eaten during our game with friends.

And oh, I smell like a campfire!!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #53
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

[QUOTE=dumpyloser;5032097]This thread is the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything about putting liver in hash. We don't do that in good ole Gaffney lol. I've done deer, pork and beef, but never any kind of liver.

It's definitely interesting to see all of the variations. I guess it's all what taste you first acquired with hash as to whether it is good or not. I didn't get what I was expecting this weekend, that is for sure lol.[/QUO
Liver hash isn't that bad personally I like it just as much as regular hash. There is a place called Franks Barbque inbetween Blythewood and Ridgeway ( you have to follow signs nailed to trees and its a small concrete building off of his driveway) that majes some of the best liver hash I've had.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote