CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Ironfan
ba55nec4r
Flameout12
Captain9Dragons
carolina_corpsman
Toneski
ConwayGamecock
Order 66
kacrosinsc
Gator Fan's Perspect (1097)
The critique of the (1023)
Cause of WR issues? (792)
Worst case scenario (647)
The drops aren't on (641)
Serious Question to (556)
Where are the tight (465)
Thoughts/Prayers App (248)
Aja gets a Mountain (227)
Why are we so bad 1s (160)
Battling Apathy
The critique of the offen
I knew we were going to l
Is there a good answer as
Cause of WR issues?
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Gator Fan's Perspective o
Perhaps a Solution...
Aja gets a Mountain Dew e
How Good Can Frank's Team

Old 01-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dan Werner - QB coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Why did Ole Miss let him go in Oct of 2016?
Run game took a huge hit and was last in conference in 2016.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Garnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot material

Quote:
Freeze was cleaning house at the time. Also, trying to protect himself with the investigation. Running game was dismal. Freeze was stated as saying he felt like Werner had taken the offense as far as it could go. That’s surprising when I’m 2015 they were number 1 the SEC and number 4 in 2016 with a 5-7 team. To me, he was buying himself time before getting fired. The thing that sticks out to me is that despite being let go Werner defended Freeze and said good things about him. Shows a lot of character on Werner’s part
Garnet&BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
If he can get Jake to play more consistently that alone will make a huge improvement to our offense.
Agree...I think we desperately needed this hire.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
it was after the season, the things you hear mentioned is ole miss struggled running the ball and they scored around 66% of their points in the first half. they went from 10 wins to 5, the dc retired and werner was fired.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

Rn jake is still probably top 5, probably top 3 qb in conference. With a proven qb coach jake can make a massive jump. Werener has developed a heisman winner in Geno Toretti, a two time all American in Ken Dorsey, and a guy who should have been all sec in 2015 and was sugar bowl MVP chad Kelly. You could argue that Jake has more raw talent than those 3, so imagine what could happen once Werner gets to tutor him.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 938208
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Very good resume for sure. Something tells me he will be more of a Co offensive cord than anything.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #27
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Can he turn

into

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #28
PFW79
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I hope this new QB coach hire with uptempo offense experience is directed at Clemson from how Syracuse was able to beat them. If so that’s awesome.
I wouldn't use that as the model. Uptempo HUNH offense is the best option in CFB IMO, but going ridiculously fast has not proven to work anywhere except maybe at Baylor in Briles' heyday.

Syracuse/Babers tried the same approach in 2016 against Clemson and lost 54-0. Their first 7 drives in the first half totaled 11:22 and by then it was 30-0. Going fast was not the main reason their offense had success against Clemson this year.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #29
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
it was after the season, the things you hear mentioned is ole miss struggled running the ball and they scored around 66% of their points in the first half. they went from 10 wins to 5, the dc retired and werner was fired.
It's also been said by some that Freeze really regretted that decision to fire Werner.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #30
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

As I stated in another thread, I believe a one-position QB coach will get all QBs more attention and the OC will get better feedback and suggestions compared to the Roper situation. I suspect Jake's issues with accuracy and ball placement will be better addressed. We also need development of the other QBs, because we have been fortunate so far with Jake's lack of missed time. I doubt Werner stays long, at least in that position, but he can be a help while we have him.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #31
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Werner is a big reason why I am on board with the BMac promotion. Werner is going to be what Coach Muschamp is for T-Rob. A veteran that has seen pretty much everything. BMac is going to be able to throw ideas off of him and get feedback. He is also going to be a steadying presence on game day since he will probably be on the field working with Jake and communicating up to BMac in the booth.

Plus this guy can flat out coach QBs and he KNOWS spread up tempo offense. TBS mentioned that their Ole Miss sources referred to him as the "QB Whisperer". His ideas mixed with Bobby Bentley's and Coach McClendon's can only spell good for our offense going forward.

Also he is going to be huge for the development of Joyner. If there is anyone in the country that can improve Dak's passing, its Werner.
I'm glad you get it.
BMAC is not going to be sitting in a room alone drawing up plays, or playing NCAA 12 like many OCs on this board do.

Coaches get a plan together by committee and the OC is best when listening to the other coaches and builds a gameplan together.

BMAC's job as OC is to implement that plan, and make the right adjustments. If you watch the Michigan game, the O was trying different things in the first half to see where Michigan may have been suceptible (when the O wasn't giving the ball away).

In the second half they found some weak spots and started exploitig them...what more do you want an OC to do?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Can he turn

into

Gawd I hope not...

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #33
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'm glad you get it.
BMAC is not going to be sitting in a room alone drawing up plays, or playing NCAA 12 like many OCs on this board do.

Coaches get a plan together by committee and the OC is best when listening to the other coaches and builds a gameplan together.

BMAC's job as OC is to implement that plan, and make the right adjustments. If you watch the Michigan game, the O was trying different things in the first half to see where Michigan may have been suceptible (when the O wasn't giving the ball away).

In the second half they found some weak spots and started exploitig them...what more do you want an OC to do?

I think a lot of the disappointment stems from BMAC being a little better spin on the status quo for a Muschamp Offense. He's not know as an innovator and we're not going to be this fast paced, stretch the field type offense. He may game plan, call a game and adapt better than Roper and that is enough for Muschamp. Time will tell if it's enough to save him as a HC and get us where we want to go.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #34
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Gawd I hope not...

I'd take Chad Kelly in a heartbeat. Remember Connor Shaw didn't get drafted either. I prefer to have a guy who excels at the college level, a pro career is just an extra feather in the cap for recruiting reasons. If you're telling me you wouldn't take his full season of 4000 yards 31 TDs to 13 INTs you've got some interesting standards for sure.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #35
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 760
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I know he landed Patterson recently, but what type of recruiter is he/what areas does he recruit?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #36
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 760
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I'd take Chad Kelly in a heartbeat. Remember Connor Shaw didn't get drafted either. I prefer to have a guy who excels at the college level, a pro career is just an extra feather in the cap for recruiting reasons. If you're telling me you wouldn't take his full season of 4000 yards 31 TDs to 13 INTs you've got some interesting standards for sure.
Lol agreed
Old 01-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #37
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

welcome on board coach. And congrats to BMac.

now if only we didnt have to wait 8 months...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I know he landed Patterson recently, but what type of recruiter is he/what areas does he recruit?
I would assume La and me delta, maybe parts of Miami. Just speculating based on the areas he has lived/worked.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #39
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

Chad Kelly might start next year for the Broncos, word around town is that Elway loves him. Him dropping to last rd has more to do w off field idiocy and injury.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #40
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I wasn't talking about on the field performance, I was speaking more of off the field issues. #SWAG

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote