CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
TaySC
Order 66
dreammachine
LBC
Senior Rooster
TKE226
Spurticus
JDStud6
Ironfan
Gator Fan's Perspect (959)
The critique of the (927)
Cause of WR issues? (746)
Worst case scenario (604)
The drops aren't on (571)
Serious Question to (543)
Where are the tight (374)
Thoughts/Prayers App (240)
The Chefs vs the Pat (238)
Aja gets a Mountain (209)
The critique of the offen
Where are the tight ends?
I knew we were going to l
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
Worst case scenario
Gator Fan's Perspective o
2019 WBB - Breanna Beal -
Cause of WR issues?
The drops aren't on the r
Why are we so bad 1st hal

Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #41
donbgamecock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 4750000
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Freshmen Contribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
It's obvious we'll be a very young team next year regardless how many freshmen we play. It does help we have guys like Keir, McIlwain, and Edwards EE because they all have a real shot at being a constant starter, but there's probably a bunch of Freshmen not EEing I can see start all year.

I'm looking for

Brandon McIlwain
Keir Thomas
Brian Edwards
TJ Brunson
Mark King
Rico Dowdle
Tyren Jones (If he does commit)
Kiel Pollard (not committed yet)
Sam Bruce (bit of a longshot, but in top 3)
We see this kind of thinking every new year. The backs and WR's have the best chance of playing. But even then, most will not be starters. Freshmen QBs are rarely starters. Freshmen LB's will most likely not start/play either. There is always that chance, but for people to start touting a FR QB is going to take over the reins 10 months out of HS is irrational thinking.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #42
fridayserv
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
fridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot material

I hate to repeat, but this Coaching staff coming from a losing situation in Florida, understand the SEC. That we are in a conference where one loss and maybe out of the SEC east race. I assure you they will not start a freshmen on the road at Vandy the first game of the year at QB. Plus the fact is Nunez, Mitch were both 4 star QBs as well. McIlwain is a great player in High School who I feel will be great in college. But this is the SEC. Where all of the winning teams have QBs that are 6'3 or better. The defenses including Vandy are bigger faster and better than High School. I think like Nunez he will get his first taste of SEC football around the forth game provided Nunez does not get hurt again. I think Mitch will transfer before the fall camp.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #43
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 200
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

With the exception of Tyren Jones, I don't see any of these players coming in and starting game 1. McIlwain will likely not start a game this year. Our game 1 starter at QB will either be Mitch or Nunez.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #44
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
We see this kind of thinking every new year. The backs and WR's have the best chance of playing. But even then, most will not be starters. Freshmen QBs are rarely starters. Freshmen LB's will most likely not start/play either. There is always that chance, but for people to start touting a FR QB is going to take over the reins 10 months out of HS is irrational thinking.
Easiest positions to play as Freshmen are RB, DL and WR, so you see your biggest contributions there. Hardest are QB and O Line. LB and DB are in between - Skai led us in tackles as a Freshman and we have had some nice contributions from true Freshman DBs (Lammons and Fenton, e. g.), so it can be done.

Watson was the best QB in the country as a true Sophomore, but he did not start out the gate. And he had a lot of advantages - coming in early, playing the same offense in HS (even down to the terminology). I think McIlwain will be heavy in the mix, but agree that he needs to be eased in - assuming that he even starts as a Freshman.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #45
fridayserv
Blue Chip

Male

fridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
If we had 5 star talent they would start immediately, like Clowney and Lati did. We have not recruited this level of talent in a while.

Clowney did not start year 1.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #46
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

In general it always seems like the collective thought (hope?) is for a freshman or two to get a starting spot in their first year. That never pans out except in unreal circumstances (i.e. Lattimore).

I'm thinking the Juco guys should obviously be the ones that'll contribute the most early on, since they're expected to. With everyone on the team learning a new O & D, I figure everyone is starting from scratch and that levels the playing field, so to speak. The Freshmen enrolling early will have a leg up on the competition as well.

Speaking of newcomers in general terms, it makes sense that the biggest impact will be those where we had a lack of talent/depth last year, which is what they seem to be recruiting for, namely WR and DL I think.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #47
evilpoptart
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 950309
evilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

Quote:
Did you see our QBs play last year? I think anyone who gives the best chance to win will play no matter what age.
evilpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #48
Cornerback
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 2000
Cornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudly

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
Did you see our QBs play last year? I think anyone who gives the best chance to win will play no matter what age.
I saw all of our QBs that played. They were a Freshman, and two inexperienced redshirts who had never played, which is exactly why you rarely see a Freshman starting. The evidence was on the field.
Cornerback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #49
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 201562
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

We have students with more talent than some of our starters that could do a better job
Old 01-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #50
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
We have students with more talent than some of our starters that could do a better job

No.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #51
bmurphy
Walk On

Male

bmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talons

Great Freshmen contribution to this season!! Kudo's to our coaching staff for maximizing all of our talent !!
bmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #52
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Great Freshmen contribution to this season!! Kudo's to our coaching staff for maximizing all of our talent !!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #53
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Not sure if anyone noticed but Mizzou scored on two consecutive drives near the end of the first half. When they got the ball back I was thinking man if they score here and when they get the ball to start 3rd Q, that could be bad. Well we held them to three and out right before the half ( they did score on first drive of 3rd Q though). But right before half we held them on a 3 and Out and three of four DLmen were true freshman. (Wonnum, Kier Thomas and Kobe Smith).

Just thought that was awesome.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #54
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

I was at a Marine Corp Ball last night and couldn't watch the game vs Mizzou, but just saw it on re-run. Our freshmen played well. They seem to be improving a little each week, with the occasional stupid foul (targeting). I'm glad we won this year's "Battle of the Columbias". Hopefully we can win enough to attend a bowl game.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #55
BombDoc
Walk On

Male

BombDoc is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
I was at a Marine Corp Ball last night and couldn't watch the game vs Mizzou, but just saw it on re-run. Our freshmen played well. They seem to be improving a little each week, with the occasional stupid foul (targeting). I'm glad we won this year's "Battle of the Columbias". Hopefully we can win enough to attend a bowl game.

Glad you attended the birthday celebration of the U.S. Marines. Hope you had a fantastic time. Just a friendly reminder........"Corps", not Corp. Entirely different meanings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #56
bmurphy
Walk On

Male

bmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talonsbmurphy has developed his gaff and talons

Once again freshmen contribution had a huge impact on the outcome of the National Championship Game. Stars matter for early contribution and matter less as the players get older and more experienced when you have the coaches to develop them. We have the coaches to do that. The stars don't make a great team, they help make an elite team due to the depth they provide.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #57
RMaceJr
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 45650
RMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudly

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say if you're going to win a national title, you need a couple top 10 recruiting classes.
RMaceJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #58
bmurphy
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMaceJr View Post
Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say if you're going to win a national title, you need a couple top 10 recruiting classes.
Which is not to say we can't have a great team otherwise IMO.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #59
RMaceJr
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 45650
RMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudlyRMaceJr is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Which is not to say we can't have a great team otherwise IMO.
Agreed. I love the direction of the program through two full seasons under Muschamp. 3 wins to 9 is no small feat, regardless of talent level.
RMaceJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #60
JDStud6
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15065
JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcclane View Post
Not all freshmen are created equal.

But yes McIlwain will be the QB.
LOL...this is why I don't make these kind of dumb speculative statements

JD
JDStud6 is online now   Reply With Quote