CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
GregoryHouse
RGHoskins
Rooster'srule
kick_ball
smoovecock
Order 66
Ace Dilcock
This could be troubl (1177)
Position Unit Previe (1036)
First home game, und (977)
The difference betwe (651)
2019 - Jaelin Humphr (342)
Kansas City Royals: (341)
Hot dogs (258)
Official Countdown T (248)
D. English & M.L (161)
The 150 Greatest Alb (139)
2018 - Jonathan Gipson
2018 - Bryce Thompson
The difference between 7
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Rico Dowdle
2018 - Raiqwon O'Neal
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn
Position Unit Preview: Of
D. English & M.Lewis
This could be trouble

Old 05-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #41
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: 2017 Roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniebaseball View Post
Sooooo. How does Coach Martin whittle this roster down to the scholarship Limit...?

Thanks
DB
That's the whole roster, not everyone on scholarship. As of now we're 1 over the limit and smart money would be on Tut leaving.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #42
Dpcocks
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dpcocks has hatched from the shell

If a guy redshirts does their scholarship still count? If not I could see cudd redshirting for his first year. Also if we sign alstork we are gonna need another guy to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #43
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
That's the whole roster, not everyone on scholarship. As of now we're 1 over the limit and smart money would be on Tut leaving.
I'm really not fond of publicly discussing amateur athletes being asked to leave. Obviously, Frank will have the numbers right before the fall. It just feels creepy to discuss booting players to me.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #44
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcocks View Post
If a guy redshirts does their scholarship still count? If not I could see cudd redshirting for his first year. Also if we sign alstork we are gonna need another guy to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, redshirts count as scholarships.

Tut has talent but did not play last year when we needed big men. That is not the end of the world for a Freshman, but not good for a JUCO that is supposed to be able to play right away. I don't think there is anything creepy with making that observation - it is just the truth.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #45
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I'm really not fond of publicly discussing amateur athletes being asked to leave. Obviously, Frank will have the numbers right before the fall. It just feels creepy to discuss booting players to me.
Well when you accept a commitment that puts you 1 over the limit and are still going after a grad transfer the discussions are going to be had, just the nature of it. I'd agree with you if we were under or right at the scholarship limit with recruiting wrapped up but now that we're over it moves from a possibility to a certainty that players will be gone.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #46
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I don't know what the real situation is. But I hope everyone is treated fairly.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #47
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
You can't take someone's scholly any more just because they didn't turn out to be as good as you expected . Have to have better reasons than that . From the USC web site (implemented in 2014) :

The newest commitment in the document is the "Four-Year Full Scholarship Commitment." It states that the University is committed to providing full-scholarships to student-athletes in head count sports commensurate to a four-year college degree. In addition, the University will increase scholarships to address the cost of attendance once these increases are approved by the NCAA. The scholarship can only be reduced if the student-athlete 1) decides to leave the team; 2) becomes ineligible; or 3) violates University or athletics department policies.
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #48
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
You can't take someone's scholly any more just because they didn't turn out to be as good as you expected . Have to have better reasons than that . From the USC web site (implemented in 2014) :

The newest commitment in the document is the "Four-Year Full Scholarship Commitment." It states that the University is committed to providing full-scholarships to student-athletes in head count sports commensurate to a four-year college degree. In addition, the University will increase scholarships to address the cost of attendance once these increases are approved by the NCAA. The scholarship can only be reduced if the student-athlete 1) decides to leave the team; 2) becomes ineligible; or 3) violates University or athletics department policies.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #49
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

You can't take the scholarship away but it is not hard to get players to leave if it is in their best interest. Tut has to know that his chances of playing are slim - heck, he did not play last year, and we have more options and improving young bigs for 2017-2018.

And Blanton would not lose his scholly because being placed on the physically unable to play list does not count against the limit of 13.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #50
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
You can't take the scholarship away but it is not hard to get players to leave if it is in their best interest. Tut has to know that his chances of playing are slim - heck, he did not play last year, and we have more options and improving young bigs for 2017-2018.

And Blanton would not lose his scholly because being placed on the physically unable to play list does not count against the limit of 13.
Deleted post .

Last edited by scfastpitch; 05-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: correction
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #51
Three and Out
Starter

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
the situation is Frank will determine who goes and who stays. some will probably look at as being unfair, it's just one of those things that happens.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #52
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know.
Yeah fair treatment isn't an issue. What ends up happening is you have a player or two who knows they won't see any PT or hasn't really meshed with Frank's style of coaching, which is definitely an acquired taste. My understanding of these situations is if a player wants to leave Frank does everything in his power to help find him the best landing spot possible.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #53
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniebaseball View Post
Sooooo. How does Coach Martin whittle this roster down to the scholarship Limit...?

Thanks
DB
Frank hinted that some players might not be cut out for the program. I still expect some transfers.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #54
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

If we take Bryce and Alstork we will be 3 over the limit. My guess is we will only take one of them. In that case, Blanton will take a medical hardship and Tut will transfer. If we took both I have no idea who the 3rd guy would be. Possibly Gueye - though he has some athleticism - just needs more time playing to learn the game. I have heard that Frank is not happy with Keita.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #55
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I hope we know soon who will be on the team next year. I don't like this kind of mystery.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #56
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
If we take Bryce and Alstork we will be 3 over the limit. My guess is we will only take one of them. In that case, Blanton will take a medical hardship and Tut will transfer. If we took both I have no idea who the 3rd guy would be. Possibly Gueye - though he has some athleticism - just needs more time playing to learn the game. I have heard that Frank is not happy with Keita.
Yeah, either/or with Bryce and Alstork. Alstork should be top priority - we need an immediate contributor at wing and Minaya might not be ready to play a heavy role in Year One.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #57
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

USCarolina has hatched from the shell

How does a medical hardship work? For instance, could Blanton be put on one this year, and next year be taken off?
USCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #58
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCarolina View Post
How does a medical hardship work? For instance, could Blanton be put on one this year, and next year be taken off?
Medical hardship is permanent. You get to stay on scholarship but you can't play the sport again. From a team perspective a player on medical hardship doesn't count against the numbers.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #59
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

USCarolina has hatched from the shell

Dang, that stinks. Oh well, whatever decision Frank makes will be good. We definitely need offensive points to replace sin and pj.
USCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #60
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
hollimon, or one of the white dudes that doesn't play?
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote