CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
GregoryHouse
TRBTB
Blitzkrieg
carolina_corpsman
sandstorm2001
Three and Out
xXSirSpurXx
Flameout12
Lonnie
Georgia Kick-off Tim (1556)
UGA/FLA: Critical ga (1493)
Homecoming queen dri (664)
question about where (455)
Exhibition game sche (403)
I need a new drug (366)
2020 - JoQuavious Ma (358)
2019 - Cesare " (318)
2019 - Shamar Nash (317)
CFN Week 8 Roundup: (199)
Ryan Succop on NFL record
UGA/FLA: Critical game fo
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Channing Tindall
I need a new drug
2017 CFB Unbeatens
2019 - Garmon Randolph
2020 - Marshawn Lloyd
Alshon, Clowney & DJ
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP

Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default SDS Predictions

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/so...carolina-2017/

This is the same guy who thought we'd go 2-10 last year... Don't see an 0-2 start to the season. Maybe he'll be right about Clemson
Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: SDS Predictions

Wow. He Hate aTm
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
MjGCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 342
MjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
While Muschamp appears to have righted the ship quickly post-Spurrier, letís not forget that the Gamecocks lost by two touchdowns to AAC foe USF in the Birmingham Bowl the last time they put on those garnet-and-black uniforms.
Now I'm not saying I was exactly clear of mind but I don't remember the game going quite like that.
MjGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjGCock View Post
Now I'm not saying I was exactly clear of mind but I don't remember the game going quite like that.
Yeah I remember us taking that game into OT and despite losing putting on a fairly strong performance for a team who won 6 games after going 3-9 the previous season. We also played against a QB who despite playing for USF has been getting some Heisman consideration this preseason. I agree with his assessment other than this. 7-8 wins seems doable.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1748
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Again, the pundits know a lot less about out ream than we do.

For instance - how did we lose to USF by two TDs - when the game went to OT? The writer's fact checker is worse than mine.

I like the UF and Clemson results though.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

I can see 7-5 for sure, but would switch around a few game outcomes. And yeah - last time I checked, it's impossible to lose by two touchdowns in overtime.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
I can see 7-5 for sure, but would switch around a few game outcomes. And yeah - last time I checked, it's impossible to lose by two touchdowns in overtime.
Technically you can but I'm not sure if it has ever happened. First team with the ball has to score a TD and make a 2 point conversion then get a pick 6 to seal the game. But on the prediction, I agree with 7-5 even if I don't agree with all the results. That said I expect an unexpected result or two going both way, winning a game or two I think we should lose and losing a game or two I think we should win.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2000000
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Well, scoring a td first and then getting a pick 6 would result in a two td overtime victory. Super unlikely though as player would probably just down the ball to end the game, but not impossible.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 250
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

That article got me to thinking. This type of question used to come up on the forum all the time. Would you take his prediction, 7-5 (4-4) with a win over Clemson or trade it for 8-4 (6-2) with wins over UGA and UT but a loss to Clemson?

I've always bought into Spurrier's philosophy of taking care of business in the conference first.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
That article got me to thinking. This type of question used to come up on the forum all the time. Would you take his prediction, 7-5 (4-4) with a win over Clemson or trade it for 8-4 (6-2) with wins over UGA and UT but a loss to Clemson?

I've always bought into Spurrier's philosophy of taking care of business in the conference first.
I think I'd take the 8-4 season, the only question I'd have is does 6-2 get us to ATL? If it does that's a no brainer, and it's still the likely take regardless because long term it would help more.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

First off, I never want to lose to Clemson. However, I agree that I do like the method of taking care of the SEC first. You can't win a championship if you don't play well against your conference. Do that, and the Clemson game should take care of itself. Spurrier showed how that works, and it worked mighty well for 5 years. He had a 6-4 record vs Clemson while at South Carolina.

Also, a loss to Clemson now doesn't look as bad as a loss to Clemson in 2007, and when Spurrier was building the program. Back then, Clemson was an 8 win program - a solid team, but not making too much national noise. Now they are obviously at the top. A loss to a Top 10 team looks better than one who is ranked 20-something and with a record of 7-4.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'd still take winning the SEC over beating that team upstate. It's always great to beat them but if we're good enough to win the SEC everything else will fall into place. At that point we'll have pretty much punched our ticket to the CFB. I also think, and this is just my opinion, we can handle competition from that upstate team instead of vice versa. They'll be a good team for some time but we've seen how much a focused Gamecock team is a problem for them. Us being the SEC champs and being in the CFB would be a huge detriment to them. Historically we're used to this adversity, them not so much. Of course this is all speculation at this point. One step at a time.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1748
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
First off, I never want to lose to Clemson. However, I agree that I do like the method of taking care of the SEC first. You can't win a championship if you don't play well against your conference. Do that, and the Clemson game should take care of itself. Spurrier showed how that works, and it worked mighty well for 5 years. He had a 6-4 record vs Clemson while at South Carolina.

Also, a loss to Clemson now doesn't look as bad as a loss to Clemson in 2007, and when Spurrier was building the program. Back then, Clemson was an 8 win program - a solid team, but not making too much national noise. Now they are obviously at the top. A loss to a Top 10 team looks better than one who is ranked 20-something and with a record of 7-4.
Correction - Clemson was at the top. So far this year, they have done zilch. And they have done very little since 1981 without Watson as their QB, and he gone. There is nothing that says they won't be a Top 25 team this year instead of Top 10, or an 8 win team as opposed to 11+. In fact, I believe the former is more likely in both cases.

Fortunately, we don't have to choose between 6-2 in the SEC or a win over Clemson. We can do both. For that matter, there is nothing saying that we have to settle for 6 SEC wins.

I was reading about some of the turnarounds in Year Two under recent coaches. Black Magic was Year Two under Morrison. Lou went from 0-11 to 8-4. and, in what the pundits consider Boom's abject failure of a tenure at UF, he went from 7-6 to 11-2 in Year Two.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 11109863
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Correction - Clemson was at the top. So far this year, they have done zilch. And they have done very little since 1981 without Watson as their QB, and he gone. There is nothing that says they won't be a Top 25 team this year instead of Top 10, or an 8 win team as opposed to 11+. In fact, I believe the former is more likely in both cases.

Fortunately, we don't have to choose between 6-2 in the SEC or a win over Clemson. We can do both. For that matter, there is nothing saying that we have to settle for 6 SEC wins.

I was reading about some of the turnarounds in Year Two under recent coaches. Black Magic was Year Two under Morrison. Lou went from 0-11 to 8-4. and, in what the pundits consider Boom's abject failure of a tenure at UF, he went from 7-6 to 11-2 in Year Two.
I like the way you think!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #15
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

No way in hell should we lose to Mizzou, but I'd accept this overall result. Not bad, especially knocking off Clemson.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #16
donniebaseball
4-Star

Male

donniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his combdonniebaseball is developing his comb

SC defense will get better as the season goes on and the offense will be balanced. Hopefully that means a ball controlling offense.
donniebaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #17
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

Three and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
No way in hell should we lose to Mizzou, but I'd accept this overall result. Not bad, especially knocking off Clemson.
Young team playing on the road against a good offense. I don't like the matchup out there.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

Three and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPitThree and Out rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniebaseball View Post
SC defense will get better as the season goes on and the offense will be balanced. Hopefully that means a ball controlling offense.
If we're able to run, then the sky is the limit.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
lake-cityCOCK89
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot material

So.....we will lose to NC State, then arguably the worst team in the SEC at Mizzou, then come home and beat UK who we have lost to 3 years in a row, then go to Kyle Field and beat the aggies, THEN lose at home to a struggling arkansas team and to tennessee who has basically zero returning on offense, but find a way to beat the defending East champion and national champions?

Guy is an idiot. Lets not up his value by visiting his page anymore.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
damron
Blue Chip

Male

damron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
So.....we will lose to NC State, then arguably the worst team in the SEC at Mizzou, then come home and beat UK who we have lost to 3 years in a row, then go to Kyle Field and beat the aggies, THEN lose at home to a struggling arkansas team and to tennessee who has basically zero returning on offense, but find a way to beat the defending East champion and national champions?

Guy is an idiot. Lets not up his value by visiting his page anymore.
yeah a pretty inconsistent prediction...how the hell do we lose to a mediocre AR @ home, can't beat a sorry MO team on the road, or an over-rated NC St. team in Charlotte, where we'll have the majority of fans...yet we win @ a tough road game in TX A&M?????...RMO III
damron is offline   Reply With Quote